Wednesday, July 31, 2019

ASCI is Awesome

We did our first Deep Creek summer vacation, and I have to say that it was pretty darn awesome. But I wanted to focus on ASCI, which stands for Adventure Sports Center International. We have done a good deal of white water rafting in the past, so when I saw that there was an artificial water course - my first thought was, "why?"

Why go to a man made course when there are so many great white water options nearby?  The answer is because it's always good. On most rivers you are rolling the dice on any given day depending on the conditions. The ASCI experience is always consistent : non stop white water.

Stacy Mizrahi White Water
Our Group Paddling ASCI at Deep Creek

I was surprised at how much fun I had on this course. If you have ever been to Wisp resort during the winter time, you've probably noticed that big empty flat area surrounded by bolder at the top of the mountain. Believe it or not, that is a summertime water course. If you go, you'll get about 2 hours of run time, I think we had about six or seven runs through the entire course. They have guides at various areas to make sure everyone is safe, and my 52 lb daughter had no problems staying in the boat (see picture).  If you are staying at Deep Creek, the advantage of this is that you can get the white water experience without having to commit your entire day.  After our 2 hour run, we drove back down to the lake and had some lunch, then went down to the beach at the state park. It's the perfect family getaway without having to go all that far away!

No comments: